HISTORY MADE FUN

GW's Flintlock Pistols

As the French allies, led by the Marquis de Lafayette, came to the aide of George Washington, to help fight off the British, Washington and Lafayette became very good friends.

Years before, Lafayette had a set of pistols made by a German craftsman, and had given them to Washington as a gift, for their great friendship. After GW died, the pistols remained in his family, until one of GW's family members presented them to President Andrew Jackson as a gift, after the victory of the 2nd war with Britain in New Orleans.

Lafayette later visited Jackson and confirmed that they were the pistols he had given to GW. Upon Andrew Jackson's death in 1845, the pistols were left then left by Jackson to Lafayette's son, named George Washington Lafayette.

The pistols remained in the family until 1958, when they were acquired by a gun collector. But after his death, his family sold off the pistols in auction in France. French authorities, not seeing documentation of the ownership and relationship with Lafayette, let the ownership transfer out of the country, to an American. They probably wouldn't have let that happen if they had known they were actually Lafayette's.

After centuries of private ownership, they have now been sold to a foundation, which has donated them to put on display at the Fort Ligonier historic site and museum, just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. 250 years after the anniversary of the French and Indian war, and Washington's contribution to those battles.

They are a great symbol of the allied relationship between Washington and Lafayette (America and France).